Short Description

Short Description

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 4 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Short Description

Dave
    Participant

Hi Mathieu,

I have added Bold R Pro to a long established site and therefore as expected am having to do a lot to the original layouts of my posts.

I have another site MrDsCookware that uses a theme called Shopperpress and in this theme they have a short description box and it seemed to me that if Bold R had this also it would mean that the layout of the main post would not effect the layout of the excerpt as this information could be taken from the short description box. If this option (to use the short description) was an option would also be good for those that wanted to take the excerpt from the main post. The amount of words that could be added to this box could be controlled by Excerpt Length in the theme options.

Why you might ask is this idea of the short description better than what it already has….well if you have an image at the top of the post or do double spacing at the end of a paragraph this greatly changes the layout of the excerpt.

I have attached a file to show how this appears in Shopperpress.

I do hope that this makes sense.

All the best
    Dave

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Reply to: Short Description

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi Dave,

And thanks for your feedback! I’m not sure how this “short description” works exactly in shopperpress but from what you are describing this sounds very much like the often overlooked “excerpt” feature.

Here’s how it works so you can give it a try right away:
    – Edit a post, and hit “screen options” at the very top right
    – Make sure “Excerpt” is checked
    – The “Excerpt” box will appear right under the content editor
    – Input your custom excerpt in there (pretty much as you do for the “short description”)
    (The above steps are not theme specific, this is a WordPress Core feature)

– Now go to Theme Options > Blog Settings and make sure “Blog Index Content” is set to “Default Excerpt”
    – and voilร !

Under-the-hood insight: the “default excerpt” (WordPress default implementation) first looks at the excerpt box. If it is left empty – which is almost always the case – then it will automatically craft an excerpt with the X (55 by default) first words of the content.
    As you noted, this isn’t always perfect depending on how you format your posts.
    But by manually entering your excerpts for each post, you make sure to control exactly how it will look and what it says. You can also make it a short “teaser” for your post, which isn’t necessarily the 55 first words of the actual content.

Please give it a try and let me know if this is the feature you where looking for. If not, then I’l have a closer look at how shopperpress does this and see how it can be implemented in BoldR ๐Ÿ™‚

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!
    This reply has been marked as private.

Dave
    Participant

Hi Mathieu,

That works fine….didn’t know that was there. Is it possible to rearrange its placing so it is between the main post and the title? Also would it be worth making this feature switched on? It also would be great if it could also use the Icefit Improved Excerpt to control how long it is? The reason I say this is that the READ MORE button means that there is more to read in the post. Without it people may think that the excerpt is the total post.

Also on another point I thought that the top post on the home page was slightly highlighted and inset slightly to attract people to notice the latest post is that correct as mine does not seem to be?

My pleasure about the drink…please enjoy it ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dave

Dave
    Participant

Hi Mathieu,

Just found this which will help can I add it to the Custom CSS in the Main Settings?

The first adding “> Read More… does not seem to work for some reason.

How to add a link beneath an excerpt to the full post
    When using the excerpt feature WordPress does not automatically provide a link to a page containing the full post. To generate a link include the following code in the loop directly below <?php the_excerpt(); ?>

“> Read More…

Or put the following in your theme’s functions.php.

function excerpt_read_more_link($output) {
    global $post;
    return $output . ‘ID) . ‘”> Read More…‘;
    }
    add_filter(‘the_excerpt’, ‘excerpt_read_more_link’);

All the best
    Dave

Dave
    Participant

Sorry it seems to work here OK the refernce is at http://codex.wordpress.org/Excerpt

Dave
    Participant

Sorted I was adding the php in the wrong place in functions php file.

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Is it possible to rearrange its placing so it is between the main post and the title? Also would it be worth making this feature switched on?

On the editor page, you can drag-and-drop the metaboxes to rearrange them, either below the content or in the right-column, but I’m afraid you cannot place anything it right below the title. (Themes and plugin can place their custom feature here, but you cannot manually do so).

I definitely agree the excerpt box should be always switched on by default, but this is a WordPress core feature so I don’t have control over it. WordPress core developers have decided to make it switched off by default for some reason; which is unfortunate in my opinion because it prevents most users from even knowing it exists!
    However, now that you have switched it on once, it should remain active on your site.

It also would be great if it could also use the Icefit Improved Excerpt to control how long it is? The reason I say this is that the READ MORE button means that there is more to read in the post. Without it people may think that the excerpt is the total post.

The length parameter is only used when the excerpt is generated from the content, manual excerpts have no limit; and indeed the read-more link won’t appear with manual excerpt.

Now this starts to show the limits of the default excerpt and I see how the “short description” from your other theme can be more flexible than the default excerpt.
    I guess this will become a new “IceFit manual excerpt” kind of feature in a future version ๐Ÿ™‚

Here’s an early draft I can give you right away, this function will already add the read-more link to your posts with manual excerpt:
    – Edit function.php (from Appearance > Editor)
    – Add this just before the last ?> tag at the end of the file:

if ( $icefit_options['blog_index_content'] == "Default Excerpt" ) add_filter('get_the_excerpt','manual_excerpt_more_link', 99);
    function manual_excerpt_more_link($excerpt) {
    	global $post;
    	if ( has_excerpt(get_the_ID()) )
    		$excerpt .= apply_filters('excerpt_more', ' ' . '[...]');
    	return $excerpt;
    }

Also on another point I thought that the top post on the home page was slightly highlighted and inset slightly to attract people to notice the latest post is that correct as mine does not seem to be?

I guess you refer to the first post on the blog page of the demo site? (http://demo.iceable.com/boldr/blog/)
    Actually this is a “sticky” post: yet another nice core feature that WP developers have hidden for some reason…
    In the “publish” box, click “edit” next to “Visibility: public”. A couple more option will appear, including “Stick this post to the front page”. Sticky posts not only have this special styling, they also always go to the top of the blog page, regardless of their date.

Now if you want to apply this styling to your latest post, you don’t want to bother and “stick” and “un-stick” it when you post the next one. So, here’s a custom CSS that does this automatically to only the latest post:

.blog .post:first-child .post-contents {
        float: none;
        background: #F9F9F9;
        border: 1px solid #eee;
        padding: 20px;
        width: auto;
        margin-left: 90px;
        margin-bottom: 0px;
        box-shadow: 1px 1px 5px 0px rgba(0,0,0,0.3);
        overflow: auto;
    }

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

I didn’t see your latest replies before publishing my (very-long) above one!

I’ve just provided you with a code to add the read-more button to your manual excerpts, and I recommend you use this instead of the one you have found in the codex, since it is adapted to work with the custom features implemented in BoldR ๐Ÿ™‚

Dave
    Participant

All looking good and working well. I think all these things that you have done for me need to be in a list for others as I am sure they will be useful.

I think from the information you give Shopperpress just switches on excerpts and places it above where the main post goes.

One thing I did come across last night was I couldn’t seem to change the order of slides in a slide show for the front…I eventually had to do it by changing the publish dates to be in the order I wanted them.

Dave
    Participant

Yes I have removed the code I added and put yours in place of it.

Dave
    Participant

I love the highlighted post it really makes the page look so much better.

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

I think all these things that you have done for me need to be in a list for others as I am sure they will be useful.

Sure, I actually keep track of everything going on in the forums, some things are added as new options/features in updates and others will eventually be part of an “extended documentation” with advanced tips and tricks.
    In the meantime, this forum already serves this purpose since is public so anyone can browse and read (and actually many users do so!) ๐Ÿ˜‰

One thing I did come across last night was I couldnโ€™t seem to change the order of slides in a slide show for the frontโ€ฆI eventually had to do it by changing the publish dates to be in the order I wanted them.

That’s actually the trick to do this (and I agree that it should be added to the main slider documentation)
    Since the post date is not to be published anywhere on the front end – but is only used for ordering – there were no real point of adding more settings to change the order. ๐Ÿ˜‰

[EDIT] Documentation now updated with this information at http://www.iceablethemes.com/documentation/setting-up-and-activating-the-slider/

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Short Description’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock