Removing Excerpt and just showing Title and Read More

Homepage Forums Free Support Forum BoldR Lite BoldR Lite Support Removing Excerpt and just showing Title and Read More

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

bmtt
    Participant

Hello

I am using BoldR Lite.

I want to make it so that on my list of blog/posts, It shows the title and the read more button, but that’s it. No summary/excerpt and no full content. I notice in the theme settings, it only gives the option of having excerpt or full content.

Is there any custom CSS I can put it to make it so it doesn’t show?

The reason I ask is that I wouldn’t normally mind having an excerpt in, but it removes the HTML so looks not as nice, so if it can’t use HTML in the excerpts I’d rather not have them at all and make users click Read More.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to: Removing Excerpt and just showing Title and Read More

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hello,

To hide the excerpts completely from the index (blog page) in BoldR Lite, you can add this in Customize > Additional CSS:

.blog .post-content p {
    	display: none;
    }

WordPress indeed generates excerpts by stripping all HTML and keeping only the X first words (X being set to 55 by default). There is a way to generate excerpts while preserving HTML formatting, that is available in the “pro” version; but this is a custom feature that is a bit more involved than pasting a line of CSS!

bmtt
    Participant

Hello

Thank you for this – that’s worked perfectly and it now shows the title and the Read More button.

Is it simple for me to re-name the “Read More” button to something like “Read in Full” or “Read Article”?

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

This string (“Read More”) is translatable (which means it goes through a gettext call).

You are not translating here, but you can still take advantage of this functionality to replace this string.

This plugin allows to do just that: https://wordpress.org/plugins/gettext-override-translations/

The other option is to create a child theme, copy index.php over into it, and replace the string directly in this file.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock