Remove date, author box..

Homepage Forums Pro Support Forum BoldR Pro BoldR Pro Feedback and Suggestions Remove date, author box..

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 2 years ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

theomichaels
    Participant

Hi guys,

You have always been amazing with support and need to pick your brains.

Basically, I want to remove the date/author box on the blog posts.

I’ve typed this:
    .postmetadata .meta-date,
    .postmetadata .meta-author { display: none; }

I have no idea what it means but it does remove the date/author box. The only thing it doesn’t do is put the blog content all the way across to the left. i.e. the blog content is where it was when the author/date box was in place.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
    Theo
    My website is http://www.theocooks.com

Reply to: Remove date, author box..

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi Theo,

Sure thing, keep the code you already added to Custom CSS, and add this third line:

.post-contents { padding-left: 0; }

And this will do the trick!

The two lines you already have mean “hide” (display: none) the meta author and meta date boxes, but they don’t affect the padding on the left side of the post content which is 85px by default to make room for the meta boxes.
    This additional line removes this padding (by setting it to 0), so the post content can actually reclaim this room on the left.

theomichaels
    Participant

As always – impeccable support – thank you! That worked a treat!

Loving the new update by the way – works great.

Couple more questions…
    1. Can I remove the ‘read more’ box thingy at the bottom of each excerpt on the main list of blog posts?
    2. Can I remove the excerpt all together? – so on my homepage it will just show the images, post title and that’s it?
    Thanks again for all your help!
    Theo
    http://www.theocooks.com

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Of course, here are a few snippets so you can choose the one(s) you want:

– This will hide the whole excerpt (including the read-more button):

.post-content { display: none; }

– In case you finally want to keep the excerpt and hide just the read-more button, remove the above and use this instead:

.read-more { display: none; }

– Bonus one, this will hide the categories (“posted in …”) below the title:

.post-category { display: none; }

It will hide the categories from everywhere (home page and single post pages).
    If you want to just remove them from the homepage (so you have only image + title) but still display them on single post pages, you need to add this:

.single-post .post-category { display: block; }

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any other tweak!

theomichaels
    Participant

That’s been brilliant – I’m still playing with the interface now the site has a lot more content on it (so still trying to work out the best way to present all the different posts) e.g. mains section is growing and having one long list of images of recipes is going to get overwhelming..

Couple of thoughts…

1. What would the code be to just remove the excerpt from the homepage list? Starting to think I like the Read More button now!

2. The new static menu in the update is brilliant by the way! In regards to menu; at the moment it has a drop down list; is there a way to have a secondary drop down, so:
    Recipes > By Type > Asian, etc.
    > By Ingredients > chicken, etc.
    > By Cuisine > chinese, indian, etc.
    ?

3. Also when I scroll down the drop down menu gets tighter (just less padding) which looks great as mine are growing a bit.. Is there a way to just have the menu always with less padding?

4. Just a thought – one of my categories (‘mains’) is growing in content quite a bit and on that page is there a way to list say 20 posts, then have a next page function with another 20 and so on..? Just a thought no biggy.. Obviously if you have any ideas on what might be better feel free to let me know!

Once again, thank you in advance for your excellent help and apologies for all the questions!

Many thanks, as always!
    Theo
    http://www.theocooks.com
    Theo

theomichaels
    Participant

PS. Just bought you a beer to say thanks!

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

You’re very welcome, glad to see that your site is coming along well and looks really good, and I’m glad I can help a little in the process πŸ™‚

Also, thank you very much for the beer!

1. What would the code be to just remove the excerpt from the homepage list? Starting to think I like the Read More button now!

Just add a “p” to the code that hides the entire excerpt (including the read-more button), like this:

.post-content p { display: none; }

2. The new static menu in the update is brilliant by the way! In regards to menu; at the moment it has a drop down list; is there a way to have a secondary drop down […]

Of course, you can create sub-sub-menus up to 10 levels deep (I don’t recommend going this far though!)
    In Appearance > Menus, you created sub-menus by dragging the “children” items slightly to the right below their parents. Now you can place an item below a child and drag it further to the right to make it a grand-child.
    This is also described in the codex at: https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide#Creating_Multi-level_Menus

3. Also when I scroll down the drop down menu gets tighter (just less padding) which looks great as mine are growing a bit.. Is there a way to just have the menu always with less padding?

Sure, paste this in Custom CSS and you’ll get the same padding at the top of the page as when you scroll down.

The first value is the vertical padding (above and below each item) and the second is the horizontal padding, left and right of each item.
    The default is “15px 15px” for the menu at the top, and “5px 15px” when scrolling.

#navbar ul li a, #navbar ul li a:visited { padding: 5px 15px; }

4. Just a thought – one of my categories (β€˜mains’) is growing in content quite a bit and on that page is there a way to list say 20 posts, then have a next page function with another 20 and so on..? Just a thought no biggy.. Obviously if you have any ideas on what might be better feel free to let me know!

Yes, you can control how many posts are displayed per page in Settings > Reading > Blog pages show at most XX posts.
    Note that this setting affects all automatically generated lists of posts (blog index, categories, archives pages etc.) so it will apply to all category pages at once.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Remove date, author box..’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock