Post Length and Read more

Homepage Forums Free Support Forum Chooko Lite Chooko Lite Support Post Length and Read more

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

mwgq
    Participant

Is there a way to disable or change the ‘read more’ setting in posts? I prefer to have more text before a cut. Plus, the ‘read more’ cuts the post off mid-sentence at random. I have looked in the css but have not been able to figure out where this feature is.
    thanks!

Reply to: Post Length and Read more

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hello,

The excerpts (part of the content displayed before the “read more” button) are generated automatically by WordPress unless you set an excerpt manually.
    This process doesn’t consider full sentences but words, and by default it is set to be 55 words long.

In Chooko Lite, you can change this by editing functions.php, on line 267:

$excerpt_length = apply_filters('excerpt_length', 55);

Here you can change “55” to any value you like.

Alternatively, you can also enter your excerpts manually for each post:
    – Edit your post
    – Hit “screen options” on the top-right
    – Make sure “excerpt” is checked
    – You will find the excerpt box under the content editor
    – Here you can enter your own custom excerpt

mwgq
    Participant

this is so helpful! thank you!! Another problem I am seeing, now that I have this figured out, is that if my post has an image in it, it is only seen under the cut. Even if I change how many words one can see before the ‘read more’ the images do not show up, and for these posts, the ‘read more’ button doesn’t appear. Any advice?
    thanks!

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  mwgq.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  mwgq.

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

This is actually how the native WordPress “excerpt” function works: it strips out any html (formatting, images etc.) and only keeps raw text.

You could alternatively edit index.php and replace “the_excerpt()” with “the_content()” to have the full post content displayed on the index page.

An third option is to have an advanced custom function to replace the default excerpt and keep all html above the “read more” link, but this feature (“improved excerpt”) is only available in the pro version.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Post Length and Read more’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock