Mobile view and readability

Homepage Forums Free Support Forum Chooko Lite Chooko Lite Support Mobile view and readability

Note about WordPress 5.0:
Our themes are compatible with WordPress 5.0. However not all functionality are guaranteed to work as expected with the new editor (Gutenberg) that comes with 5.0.

We highly recommend installing the Classic Editor plugin, which will bring back the usual editor if you run into any issue or just do not like the new editor.

An update to bring full compatibility with Gutenberg is being worked on, but has been postponed because of the recent fast-paced evolution of the Gutenberg project until WP 5.0 release. More info about the release of WordPress 5.0 announced on a short 2-days notice can be found here: New 5.0 Target Date.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

cheyenne
    Participant

I am not quite sure if it was the last update for my theme or what happened. I had very high speed scores for desktop and mobile view. Then something happened. My mobile speed is very slow, down in the 20-30’s now. I am also getting notifications from google that some pages on my site have text too small to read. Can anyone help me with this? I love my theme and would like to fix it if at all possible.

I also already had and still, have the classic editor installed.

Reply to: Mobile view and readability

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi Cheyenne,

Did you recently add the ads on your website ? From a quick look I can already tell for sure that these are hurting the perfance ratings pretty badly.

Running a quick Google lighthouse perf test from chrome’s devtools, the overall perf score goes from 85 with adblock enabled down to 57 when ads are not blocked. I know this sounds ridiculous, especially when the ads come from google itself through adsense.

With that said, this is no cause for alarm as the performance ratings score are based on arbitrary metrics and general best practices rules which are not always relevant, or do not take every relevant parameter into account.

On a related note, a perfect pagespeed score is not a good thing to aim for. You will usually get better real performances using other methods than those that will give you a 100% score.

For example, the rating might be lower when using CDN versions of third-party scripts (including google adsense or analytics script). Lighthouse suggests you don’t load code from third parties. But the reality is that loading these script from a powerful CDN is actually faster and give more real performance than hosting it on your own server. This is exactly why google fonts, analytics, adsense etc. always give you a code to load their script from their CDN and won’t suggest you host it on your server.
    The fact that pagespeed/lighthouse then says the opposite when you run a test is ludicrous.

About the text being too small on mobile, I suspect this is because of the metadata and keywords which have a pretty small font size (indeed smaller than the recommended size for content, and you wouldn’t want your main content to be this small).

If this is a concern to you, you can certainly make these larger with a bit of CSS (add it to Customizer > Additional CSS)

To make fonts larger on mobile only:

@media only screen and (max-width: 767px) {
        #page-container .post-contents { font-size: 16px; }
        .postmetadata span { font-size: 16px; }
        .tags span a { font-size: 16px; }
    }

Or to make them larger on all screens:

#page-container .post-contents { font-size: 16px; }
    .postmetadata span { font-size: 16px; }
    .tags span a { font-size: 16px; }

cheyenne
    Participant

Yes, I did recently do the ads. I allowed Google to auto add the ads. Could I speed this up by turning that off and individually placing ads myself? I am new to all of this, would a paid theme benefit me more for being able to run my site the way it is now better?

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Auto-ads or manually setting them up will probably not make any difference about the impact ads can have on performance and perf. ratings. Do keep in mind however that the impact is largely overestimated in ratings. The actual impact on performance is usually lesser than what scoring systems may imply.

Although a paid theme will certainly offer more customisation options in many area, it will honestly not make any difference either regarding how google ads work and how they impact the overall performance on your website.

cheyenne
    Participant

How difficult would it be to switch my theme from the lite to pro? I would like more options, although the lite version is pretty dang good itself. I have support from my host, but also it would be nice to have support specifically for my theme. Thank you for all of you help this far.

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Switching to the pro version is pretty straightforward: the pro version is technically another theme which you install and activate through the WP theme upload interface.

The process is detailed step by step here: https://www.iceablethemes.com/documentation/installing-and-activating-a-theme/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe