Links not showing in "Excerpt" blog mode

Homepage Forums Free Support Forum Blackoot Lite Blackoot Lite Feedback and Suggestions Links not showing in "Excerpt" blog mode

Note about WordPress 5.0:
Our themes are compatible with WordPress 5.0. However not all functionality are guaranteed to work as expected with the new editor (Gutenberg) that comes with 5.0.

We highly recommend installing the Classic Editor plugin, which will bring back the usual editor if you run into any issue or just do not like the new editor.

An update to bring full compatibility with Gutenberg is being worked on, but has been postponed because of the recent fast-paced evolution of the Gutenberg project until WP 5.0 release. More info about the release of WordPress 5.0 announced on a short 2-days notice can be found here: New 5.0 Target Date.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 2 days, 8 hours ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

DKDiveDude
    Participant

Blog post never show URL download links in blog “excerpt” mode.

That is a very bad idea, because of the post is short, meaning no “READ MORE” link, the visitor/reader will NEVER get to the download link!

Reply to: Links not showing in "Excerpt" blog mode

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi, I’m afraid this is how (imperfectly) excerpts work in WordPress: they are plain text only, and automatically generated (unless you set them manually) from the 55 first words of the post. And they only come with a “read more” link if there are more than 55 words.

For the situation you describe, the best option is probably to display the actual post content in the blog index instead of excerpts.

On a related note, pro versions of our theme include an “advanced excerpts” mode, which is an attempt to bridge the gap between the two main options. It basically generates excerpts that include some HTML tags (the list of allowed tags can be set in the option panel), as opposed to plain text excerpts.

DKDiveDude
    Participant

What do you mean ” they are plain text only, and automatically generated (unless you set them manually”?

Are you saying there is a way to set the link manually, so it shows in excerpt view?

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Sorry my first reply wasn’t quite clear, and I almost forgot that you can, indeed, include a link in an excerpt if you set it manually.
    This might be a bit of tedious work especially if you have a lot of posts, but totally possible.

To set an excerpt manually:
    – If using the classic editor: hit “screen options” at the top right of the post edit screen and make sure “excerpt” is checked. You should find the “excerpt” text box below the content editor.
    – If using the “blocks editor” (Gutenberg): In the “Document” tab of the right sidebar, look for the “Excerpt” section below “featured image”.

This fied is just a plain text editor, but you can actually include HTML in it. So you can set a link with the <a> tag, like so:

This is my custom excerpt with a <a href="https://www.wordpress.org/">link to WordPress</a>.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe