Google Fonts Not Displaying in Chrome

Homepage Forums Pro Support Forum BoldR Pro BoldR Pro Support Google Fonts Not Displaying in Chrome

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  JDDeGoey 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JDDeGoey
    Participant

I recently noticed that the Google fonts listed in the Appearance menu are not displaying properly in Chrome. I have BoldR Pro 1.8.1 installed. I have the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, and IE. I’m using WordPress 4.8. The fonts appear correct when viewed in Firefox and IE. Any ideas? Thanks so much.

Reply to: Google Fonts Not Displaying in Chrome

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi, are you, by any chance, running Windows 7 x64 and is the font “Oswald” installed on your system (maybe you installed it to use it with Photoshop or something)?

I remember observing this exact issue a few years ago where some Google fonts, including Oswald, would not display correctly (letters appear “cut in half” and only the bottom half is visible) in this very specific situation: using chrome on Windows 7 x64 with the font installed on the system.

This was discussed on a google forum and tagged “wontfix” by developers. Probably because they considered this was a very specific issue that would affect very few users, since the general public usually don’t have these fonts installed.
    (I actually found the bug report from 2012 while digging through archives: https://code.google.com/archive/p/googlefontdirectory/issues/152 )

I can tell that fonts look correct on your site from my end using chrome.
    You should be able to see it displaying correctly if you uninstall Oswald from your system and/or if you try from another computer.
    Other more complicated workaround are discussed on the bug report, but I’m not sure it is worth bothering this much for such a specific glitch (i.e. when probably more than 99.9% of your visitors won’t be affected!)

JDDeGoey
    Participant

Thanks, Iceable. The fonts suddenly started displaying properly in Chrome a week ago. However, I noticed that the “Share” button is missing now, and there is a lot of extra white space below the “Share this:” buttons at the bottom of the posts on the home page. Any fixes?

https://mastersttracer.com

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

I just had a look and this is more than just a display issue: even in the code the “print” button is alone (with some margin on the left for some reason), and there is no other button at all.

This comes from a third party plugin unrelated to the theme so I cannot help you much more than this, but here’s what I would do:
    – First double check the plugin’s settings
    – If settings look okay then try to contact the plugin’s author for help.
    – Alternatively, you can also try another plugin, I believe there are quite a few of them that do pretty much the same thing.

JDDeGoey
    Participant

Turns out that Jetpack is controlling the display of these elements. I will see if I can get help from them. Thanks for your quick response as always.

Jim

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Google Fonts Not Displaying in Chrome’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock