editing the theme

editing the theme

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Amy 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    editing the theme

Amy
    Participant

Hi,

I’d like to make some changes to this theme and then use it for my company. Do i have to buy pro or a licence to use it this way?

Also i’ve seen a previous post about updates- are these updates automatic? i may make some large styling changes so it worries me that there would be reset! Would copying the entire style sheets and functions.php to a child theme before making changes (within the child theme) be enough of a security measure do you think?

finally if we go ahead with it we will probably purchase pro- i’m not really comfortable with visual editors, is it as simple to edit the css and php directly as it is in the lite version?

Thank you very much for your help!

Reply to: editing the theme

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hello,

– Both lite and pro versions are GPL licensed. You are free to use them for whatever project you want (and of course modify them to fit your needs if you wish!)
    You will find an excerpt of the license in style.css, and the full license text in license.txt.

In short, GPL means “free” software – “free” as in freedom (to do whatever you want with it).

– No update is automatic, they will pop up in your admin panel and prompt you to update. You never *have to* click this update button though!

– However, using a child theme to make important changes to the core files is indeed encouraged.
    Also keeping backups in case an update or anything else goes wrong is strongly recommended as well.

finally if we go ahead with it we will probably purchase pro- iā€™m not really comfortable with visual editors, is it as simple to edit the css and php directly as it is in the lite version?

The Pro version comes with many additional options and features, so there are of course more files and functions, making the whole PHP a bit more complicated – but the foundations are the same.
    As for CSS, using the .dev css version and editing it works just as it does in Lite.

The visual editor is the one you natively have in WordPress to edit content (you can switch between “visual” or “text”) – so this is unrelated to PHP and CSS edits.

The pro version adds some buttons to this editor to easily add some shortcodes and other “pro” content elements features easily for users who prefer point-n-click over code.
    Of course if raw code is your thing, you don’t have to use it!

Reply to: editing the theme

Amy
    Participant

Brilliant, thank you very much for all of this information!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘editing the theme’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock