Developing locally and moving to LIVE site

Homepage Forums Community General WordPress Help Developing locally and moving to LIVE site

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  girishkalele 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

girishkalele
    Participant

Hello Keymaster

Developing live site, while working directly on the hosted platform, is becoming tedious and need lots of efforts. I am sure there is a way to it efficiently by first developing locally (WP and theme installed locally, developing, testing etc.) and then uploading to LIVE server so that the switch over from current to new site happens smoothly.

I want to have a local server and do the site development. Then I want to move to live. I want to avoid working directly on live site. I also want to have regular backups of the site, just in case…

Can you point me out to resources and tools that help in this? I know this is not the forum to seek this help which is outside the theme area. So you can treat this low priority. However because of your excellent never-let-down support, I am approaching you. I have seen some documentation on this site (http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-move-wordpress-from-local-server-to-live-site/) but I would first take your advice before doing anything.

thanks for your time and appreciate your help.

Girish

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by  iceable. Reason: Moved to General WP section
    Reply to: Developing locally and moving to LIVE site

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi Girish,

I’m afraid the method described at this link is the best, and the most reliable, way to go about this. Actually I usually answer this question with this link: http://www.jasonbobich.com/web-design/moving-wordpress-to-a-new-server/ (which says pretty much the same).

It may seems like a lot, but actually it isn’t that much when you get used to it:
    – Save /wp-content/ on the local site
    – Dump local MySQL database
    – search/replace URL in MySQL dump file
    – Replace /wp-content/ on the target site
    – Import MySQL dump on the target site

There are some plugins that say they do this with a few clicks, but they sometime prove unreliable, thus why I would not recommend using them.

Making a back up is as simple as the two first steps above on the live server by the way.

And if you are confortable with shell scripting, this can even be semi- or fully-automated to save some time and efforts. I’m actually using a variation of the examples at http://smarterware.org/9572/automatically-back-up-your-web-site-every-night to make automated and regular backups of my own sites.

Reply to: Developing locally and moving to LIVE site

girishkalele
    Participant

Thank you, Mathius

Appreciate your help. I realized that I asked this query in the wrong forum and you rightfully moved it to its appropriate place.

thanks again

girish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Developing locally and moving to LIVE site’ is closed to new replies.

PayPal Verified
Secured by PayPal
Secure Credit Card payments powered by Stripe
SiteLock