Setting up your portfolio is pretty easy and straight forward, adding items is almost the same as creating blogposts.
Adding projects to the portfolio
- From your WordPress admin panel, go to “Portfolio” > “Add New”.
- Give your portfolio item a title and content description just like you would do to create a blogpost.
- Set a “featured image” that will be showcased in full-width on the item’s page, and used as thumbnail as well on the portfolio page and in the widget.
- Add your project to at least one “portfolio category”, which will be used by the dynamic filter on the filterable portfolio page.
- Other items on the same(s) category(-ies), will be displayed at the bottom of the single item page, under “Related Projects”.
- Portfolio can have two additional meta information: date (can be anything, i.e. 01.13.2013 or “January 2013”) and client.
Creating a filterable portfolio page
- Create a new blank page and give it only a title (i.e. “Portfolio”, “Our works” etc.)
- Note that any content you enter on this page will be ignored, the portfolio page is automatically generated instead.
- Under “Page Attributes” on the right select “Portfolio” under “Template”.
- Publish your page and you are done, every item in your portfolio will be displayed on a grid, and will be dynamically filterable by categories.
- Note: you can set a sidebar on this page, but it is recommended to use a full-width page for portfolio.
Using the portfolio shortcode and widgets
Shortcode and widgets can be used to give an overview of your latest works, respectively on home or content pages and in sidebar or footer.
The shortcode can be added to any content page by clicking this icon on the third line of the visual editor.
When you click on it, a popup will appear with a few options:
– Heading section title
– Shortcode size (from 1/4 to full-width)
– Optional category filter, in case you want to showcase only project from a given category
To give an overview of your latest works in the sidebar, in a manner similar to “recent [blog] posts”, simply drop the “icefit portfolio” widget in your sidebar.
The widget comes with three settings: title, number of items to list, and optional category filter.