Navigation font split in half

Home Forums Pro Support Forum BoldR Pro BoldR Pro Support Navigation font split in half

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  iceable 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

sheitmar
    Participant

I know, this seems really odd – and you pretty much have to see it to understand (see attached).

I’ll explain what I did that may have caused this – unfortunately, I have no idea how to get it back.

I was working on a secondary site and decided that I liked the font Oswald and wanted to make a design similar to what you had already on there – so I loaded up Photoshop and began creating my title images that I wanted to use that included the Oswald font. I realized I didn’t have it loaded on my computer, and went to download a free copy.

Once I had it installed, I noticed that a few of the font variations only showed the upper half. Thinking they were corrupt, I decided to simply uninstall them – I didn’t need them anyway, the font I needed seemed to work fine.

Unfortunately, I go to load up Chrome, and now my site seems to be showing the same odd behavior. I’m afraid I somehow replaced a font that Chrome was using with my crappy version, and it seems to persist even though I don’t have it installed in my Windows fonts folder. Firefox and Internet Explorer seem to be fine.

I know this is likely not directly related, and I don’t know if you’re even willing to help me with this – but a point in the right direction would be very helpful!

• This topic was modified 11 months, 3 weeks ago by  sheitmar.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Reply to: Navigation font split in half

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Hi,

Good news is this is a known issue that happens in this one specific situation:

Using Chrome on Windows 7 x64 to visit a page where a webfont from Google is used, while the same font is installed on your machine.
    This issue has been reported and discussed at https://code.google.com/p/googlefontdirectory/issues/detail?id=152

Removing the font from your computer seems to do the trick, but in your case I would guess your browser has kept some bad stuff in cache.
    So clearing your browser’s cache should hopefully finish the job and fix the issue. :)

sheitmar
    Participant

Glad to hear I’m not alone in this.

Unfortunately, your suggestion didn’t work by clearing the cache. I did get a solution to work posted in the url you gave me, and that was to install the ttf fonts found at http://www.1001fonts.com/oswald-font.html . The original set I had on my computer were otf. I’m wondering if there was some residual information from the otf fonts causing me the problem.

To avoid this bug in the future, it seems some people have pointed to some tweaks in the CSS to avoid using the local font. Worth looking in to?

iceable
    Keymaster
    Support
    Happy with my help?
    Buy me a beer!

Great that you finally got rid of this glitch :)

The CSS tweaks discussed on this page require to use an alternative css code rather than the one provided directly by google webfonts. This means generating the modified CSS directly instead of just including the link to google webfonts, which is the normal implementation.
    – this would require some significant changes in the framework to implement.

On the other hand, this display glitch only happens with a few fonts, and only in chrome for people using windows 7 x64 and have one certain version of this font installed on their computer. This really makes very very few people and makes this quite a rare issue.

Additionally these people will have this display glitch on any site using the font with the regular webfont include, so it would be better for them to fix their computer (by removing the font or installing another version like you did), than to change the implementation on just one site!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.